Sunday, August 22, 2010

USMC work out, i'm leaving in january and need to get my pull ups and running up? Any Advice?

Any devil dogs out there that can help me out.USMC work out, i'm leaving in january and need to get my pull ups and running up? Any Advice?
Hey there devil pup, I just finished a 8 year tour last december. For running, you will need endurance, i suggest you hit the streets, phone poll to phone poll. you sprint to one poll then jog to the next, do this and it will increase your speed and build stamina. If you have a track, sprint 100 yards, jog 100 yards, sprint 100 yards, jog 1000 yards....etc. As for pull ups, start by doing 10 or if you cant do that do what you can, dont go fast, go nice and slow, this will build strength and stamina. then when you are done, do a max set off push ups. Be sure to rest between days and dont over do it. You will have plenty of time to to get stronger even while in basic. Good luck!! Semper Fi!USMC work out, i'm leaving in january and need to get my pull ups and running up? Any Advice?
More pull ups help more pull ups. For the run, I suggest running intervals. Sprint and then jog. Spring and then jog. That worked for me.
If you want to be able to do more pull ups in a month you better start practicing yesterday.


When I took the test in Parris Island over 40 years ago, you had to be able to do 15 pull ups.


Let's say you can only do 10 right now.


Then do 10, 3 times a day for a week and then increase by 1 each week and you should be good to go in January.





As far as running, you don't have to have a lot of speed, but at times you do have to build your endurance, especially with up to 60 lbs. of gear you'll be carrying.





I joined back in '64 when I turned 17 and I could do 80 push ups before I enlisted, but the running part was hardest for me but I could do the 15 pull ups for the test.





So even though it hurt me to run (at first), the biggest hurdle was getting into the right mind set. They try to break you down mentally and physically and when you get through it, you gain respect for yourself and that's a good start.


Good luck and Semper Fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment