Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm looking to get a dog and am deciding between a golden retriever or a lab...any advice?

I've had goldens in the past, and am also considering health issues. Thanks!I'm looking to get a dog and am deciding between a golden retriever or a lab...any advice?
They are both excellent dogs in general. It depends on their lineage what kind of personality they will have. Each breed has a list of possible health problems.


You wouldn't have the grooming costs with a lab.


I own 3 Labs. They are wonderful dogs. They need exercise everyday and obedience training.


As for the yellows being the most aggressive, that is bunk. I have a yellow female that is a lover. They say the chocolates are the dumbest of the 3 colors. Again a load of bunk. It all depends on the individual dog.


Choose which ever fits your lifestyle and personality the best.I'm looking to get a dog and am deciding between a golden retriever or a lab...any advice?
labs are fun but you HAVE to make sure you can give him good exercise they have alot of energy and if you do not walk him of give him plenty of time to run around he will burn his energy in other ways like tearing up anything he can find so bassicall if you dont let him burn off energy outside he will find a way to inside.. Goldens are much more calm but with any dog you get it needs good exercise if you want him to be a happy content dog
Golden Retriever, I own a Golden and he is a joy to have he is very intelligent,super friendly to everyone and other pets. Go for the Golden you won't be disappointed! Labs tend to run away, when I go pick up a dog at large (work) they are always Labs.
lab because they are great companions and they are obedient
Labs are puppies for a long time (more than twice as long as Goldens) but once they settle down, they're really great dogs. If you're willing to deal with that puppy stage, I'd say the breeds are pretty equal and you should judge based on the particular breeders you are considering. A healthy Lab beats an ill Golden (and vice versa) any day. If you're looking to adopt, same deal - go to the rescues and meet the dogs and take the one you fall for home with you.
Both bright lovable dogs. The Lab. gets my vote based on my experience. I grew up with a yellow that was part fiest and he was extreemly loyal playful and lived a long healthy life.I guess I am a mutt guy.


I must admit some degree of ignorance of goldens but the long hair bugs me.
Lab all the way. Labs were bred to be gentle and calm. I'm not saying that it won't need training, and it will still be a puppy, but as it gets older it will calm down and be much more managable. Retrievers are some what of air heads. They are harder to train and much more hyper, and that lasts long into adult hood. They require at least one walk a day, or you will suffer, and if you go with one, be sure to get a halti, also. with labs you don't have to worry about them not eating. Retrievers sometimes just won't eat. For like a day, then they'll eat again. Its weird. Anyway, get a lab.
Ultimately, you have to get the dog that will make you happy. However, for me, this is an easy one - Labs seem to have far fewer health problems than Goldens. Sorry, so many lines of Goldens seem to have poor immune systems, so many of them get cancer. I'd rather deal with a Lab. Know if you're getting a dog from a show line or a field line (not recommended unless you're going to do field trials). Good luck.
Ahh - the mighty question of whether or not to get a Lab. Well, I am owned by 2 female chocolate Labs and even run a website specifically devoted to the Lab Retriever breed. I have some great articles on the Labrador Retriever breed that you may find below. More specifically though is my article on ';Is a Lab Right for You?'; at: http://www.8pawsup.com/articles/labsfory鈥?/a>





Please read this articles thoroughly before getting a Lab. Many people think they are not a lot of work when it is the opposite.





PS - dont listen to anyone that tells you that Lab colors make a difference on their personalities or ability to be calm or smart. Those people are listening to myths. Trust me as I am a Lab expert and write articles about the specific dog breed for multiple publications.
I have heard that Retrievers are more calm than Labs..I once had a lab I know for a fact that the first 2 years of a labs life is hard because they are really wild, if you are to get a lab, the chocolate labs are calmer and the yellow labs are the most aggressive...trust me I know, I have done a lot of research on this before...


Hope that helps :)
Golden Retrievers tend to be more nice and calm.I would get this dog if you had kids.But a Lab is a nice dog also.Either way you will have a nice loveable dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment