Monday, August 23, 2010

Im writing a book, nothing special, but all my friends tell me I should get it published. Advice?

Its kind of personal and everything, but they day that it is really good stuff. As of now oit is not that long but I am always adding and editing. It kind of my stress reliever. SHould I put it out there? I mean I dont want anyone to reject my thoughts, but I just dont know if I am wiloing to take that risk. WOuld You? Please give me reasons for and against it. Thatanks so muchIm writing a book, nothing special, but all my friends tell me I should get it published. Advice?
You say it is ';nothing special';. Approximately 100 thousand or more books a year get submitted to publishers and agents. If yours is ';nothing special';, what chance does it really have? If you are doing this as a stress reliever, I suggest that you make this your ';lost book';. Most authors go through one or more novels before they write one worth submitting. Maybe this is the book you need to write just for yourself - just to prove you can do it and decide whether or not writing is for you. Then, when you come up with an idea that is ';special';, you will be ready to put your heart into it. Hon, trust me. If you dont want anyone rejecting your thoughts, you have a whole lot of heartache headed your way. Gone with the Wind was rejected 50 plus times. I have heard James Patterson was rejected 61 or 71 times before he sold a book. It comes with the territory hon. So work on this for the reason you started it - as a stress buster. Then decide when you are ready to deal with the world of publishers and agents. From the sound of it, you arent. Just have fun, write it and tuck it away to read when you get older. Pax - CIm writing a book, nothing special, but all my friends tell me I should get it published. Advice?
I think you should publish it.I would because i know people will read what i wrote and find themselves in that book.But of course it's up to you, you should think about the risks (if those things are too personal think about it twice).Anyway,i hope you make the right decision.
OK, I'm not trying to discourage you, but if your heart is not in this, you will not get published. Finishing your book is only the first step. Then you will need to find yourself an agent who is willing to take you on. You will be rejected over and over again. JK Rowling took many attempts before an agent would accept her as a client. You will need a thick skin, as some of the agents can be real bast*rds. However, after all this, if you manage to find an agent, then you have to convince that agent that your book warrants more of his or her time than that agent's other books. Hopefully, your agent will be able to set you up with an editor. Your editor will then have to fight to get your book published, and he will have to go up against the marketing people, who generally find anything new to be risky.





So, if this sounds like the old Schoolhouse Rock bit about the Bill, you get the idea.





You will need to figure out your genre, then join a professional society for writers in your genre. From there, find conventions/conferences that cover your genre, because face time with an agent is better than a query letter.





Don't quit, just realize that you will have your work cut out for you if you choose to go for it. You need to make sure you are fully committed to getting this book published, and make sure your skin is thick, or you will get nowhere fast.
Getting a book published isn't as easy as it sounds, there are many factors to consider. Depending on the type of book you could look at epublishers, that's one way to get your name out there. An agent is always a good bet if you're looking to targer the bigger companies or if you have the money to blow self publishing. Rejection is inevitable, take any advice as long as its constructive.





Nia -Author


www.niafoxx.com
do what you think is right...if you think it's a pretty good book then go and publish it...but i suggest you check the spelling and punctuation again =]
Ray, if your question and narrative is any indication of how well written your book is progressing I must suggest you spend equal time in researching and applying proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar.





Write your book, but edit it as closely as possible.
i am a big reader and i think as long as it isn't repetitive and isn't annoying i think you will make it. trust me this year i probably read 150 novels and about 79 stories give it a try and put it out there. there are many different types of readers out there. maybe a couple of people might not like it but a hundred of people will like it. it really depends on what they read (good luck)

No comments:

Post a Comment